By the middle of the year…
- Everything I eat will be raw or homemade (unless I’m at a restaurant).
- I will eat at least 3 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
- At least once a week, I will drink a little wine and eat some fish.
- Every day, I will exercise for at least 20 minutes, write for at least 30 minutes, and meditate for at least 10 minutes.
- At least once a week, I will draw.
- At least once a week, I will practice a musical instrument.
- I will transform my back garden into primarily a vegetable garden. I will harvest, eat, and preserve those vegetables.
By the end of the year…
- I will adopt a pet.
- I will read twice as many books as movies I watch.
- I will study three books, reading them deeply for insights. This may be the second or third time I read them.
Here’s how I will do this:
- Every Friday, when I get groceries, I will buy some fish and a lot of salad. I will make a fish-and-wine meal that weekend.
- Every weekend, I will make a large meal that can be used as leftovers for the rest of the week.
- I will default to a salad for dinner every night. I will keep a pantry of things to put on that salad (fruits, nuts, tuna, etc.).
- Every evening, after dinner, before I do anything else, I will exercise (jogging the neighborhood on nice days, doing Tai Chi otherwise), then meditate, then write.
- I will set aside one evening of the week for musical practice. (Not that I’ll spend the entire evening on it.)
- I will set aside one evening of the week for drawing practice.
- I will set aside two weekends in early spring to transform my garden. I will invite friends and family over on one of those days to help, and feed them.
- I will keep a pile of books next to my bed. I will go to bed early enough every night that I can spend some time reading before going to sleep.
And I will not beat myself up if I don’t always manage this.