And I’ve returned from an amazing weekend with Brennen. I’m bushwhacked, so expect an incoherent blog post today.

The flights out there were uneventful, and I was easily picked up by Brennen at the airport. We then went back and celebrated his girlfriend’s birthday by drinking wine and chatting about home schooling with a few of his friends, which was remarkably enjoyable.

Awoke deliciously late on Saturday, then drove in to the city to walk around. There’s this beautiful, all-brick pedestrian mall running down the center of town. It’s studded with statues of native animals—bobcats, wolves, bears, etc.—and lined with bookstores, coffee shops, ice cream parlors, etc. We stopped in at an Irish pub for a while, only to soon find ourselves surrounded by young girls changing clothes. They soon stepped onto stage for a full-scale Irish dance performance, not unlike Riverdance. Amazing to watch these girls flit and stomp around the stage like…well, in a way unlike anything else, really.

We then headed out to a local smoke-filled bar basement, where Tempa and the Tantrums were playing. We’d never heard of them before; turns out they’re a fantastic Blues/Jazz/funk band. I bought one of their CDs from their very appreciative lead singer, who despite her petite body had the voice of someone twice her size. Got back home at midnight; wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.

On Sunday, woke up deliciously late again, and went out hiking with Brennen up the large hill behind his house. That took us several hours of leaping from rock to rock, brushing past claw-like brush, drinking plenty of water, and keeping our eyes peeled for rattlesnakes (never saw one). Near the top, we found a little wind-sheltered nook in a copse of trees, literally broke bread, munched on hummus-dipped pita and cheese, and talked about politics, human rights, business, and the world in general for about an hour. It was heaven.

Spent Monday morning mostly chatting with Brennen’s girlfriend, who is a wonderful young woman, and browsing Boulder some more before heading to the airport. The trip back turned out to be more of an ordeal; I had a fairly long layover in Minneapolis, then the flight to Dulles had to land in Pittsburgh because of a sick passenger. Didn’t get back home until after 11:00, and didn’t get home until after midnight.

But I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything. Why? Because I was with people, connecting with them face-to-face. There’s nothing like it. Nothing beats this.

I want to go back. Like, next month. Wish I could. I’m definitely planning to go back again within a year.

So that was my weekend. How was yours?

Leave a Reply

I work for Amazon. The content on this site is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent Amazon’s position.